- Have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university or college that reflects a broad liberal arts base to include:
- Twenty-one (21) semester credit hours in the social and behavioral sciences and humanities;
- Three (3) semester credit hours in biological science/general biology;
- Three (3) semester credit hours in mathematics (100 level or above);
- The GRE exam is not required;
- Advanced Standing Students must have a BSW from an accredited social work program.
- Submit three (3) letters of recommendations; letters must be signed, include contact information, and be presented on letterhead;
- Submit a personal statement (requirements listed below); and
- Pay a non-refundable application fee of $40.00.
Personal Statement Requirements
Social work is a professional discipline. It is a field of study that blends perspectives from other disciplines, particularly biological and social sciences, with its own values, knowledge, and skills. Social workers must understand the interactions of individuals and families with their environment. Persons desiring to become social workers must possess the capacity for self-reflection, empathy, sensitivity, respect for diversity, and willingness to work with oppressed and at-risk populations. The personal statement should provide the admissions committee with insight regarding how your interest in social work evolved and your readiness for graduate social work education.
The personal statement must be typed, double-spaced, 12pt. font, and 3-5 pages in length.
*Please note: You will be evaluated on your writing style, grammar, and critical thinking/self-reflection. The personal statement is an opportunity to demonstrate your writing skills.
The personal statement should include a discussion of the following:
- Tell us why you want to be a social worker. Why does the profession of social work appeal to you?
- Why do you want to attend Clark Atlanta University's Whitney M. Young, Jr., School of Social Work?
- Based on WMYJSSW's mission, vision, and goals, why are you a good candidate for this program?
- Describe your ability and commitment to undertake graduate education at this time, including the ability to spend 16 hours per week in the foundation year and 24 hours per week in the concentration year field placements.
Please provide any additional information you would like us to consider
*The MSW program does not give credit for life experiences or previous work experiences.