Candidates planning to engage in Pre-service teaching must meet certain criteria in order to be accepted into Pre-service Teaching. Candidates must apply during specified periods each semester. Application dates are posted and written notices sent to faculty members who are asked to announce the application dates to their classes and advisees. Pre-service Teaching applicants must provide documentation that they meet the following criteria:
- Attainment of a GaPSC Pre-service Certificate
- Passing selected standardized teaching field examinations required for certification in the state of Georgia (currently the GACE/Praxis II examination; GACE/Praxis I required for program admission)
- Presenting grade point averages as follows:
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or better
- A 2.50 GPA or better in all professional education courses
- A 2.50 GPA or better in all required courses in the content specialization
- A minimum grade of “C” in all professional and specialized education courses at the time of application for Pre-service Teaching
- Presenting acceptable Departmental evaluation of field experiences
- Submitting current recommendations from Department of Curriculum advisors and/or faculty members who teach content courses in the teaching specialization
- Documenting clearance on the criminal background check
- Possessing and maintaining personal liability insurance
- Completing a satisfactory interview during the Program Admissions Application Process
The Field Experience Committee consisting of the Department Chairperson, program advisor (coordinator), and the Director of Field Services will judge the adequacy of each application. The committee will notify successful applicants that the application is being sent to the designated public school administrator for placement. Upon receipt of placement information from the public school administrator, the University/Director of Field Services will mail notices to applicants with a copy to program coordinator. The Department retains applications of candidates failing to meet specific criteria and informs them of deadlines for meeting criteria. Applicants who do not qualify for Pre-service teaching placement must meet with department advisors and/or coordinators for counseling and further vocational guidance. Student teachers are expected to complete a year-long experience and complete their EdTPA as part of this experience.
EdTPA is a comprehensive exit requirement of all initial certificate pursuers. Coursework is aligned to the EdTPA. Each content area has a different format.