CAU Special Report - Emergency Financial Aid Grants Under the CARES Act

05/09/2020

Clark Atlanta University (CAU) signed and returned to the U.S. Department of Education a Certificate and Agreement to receive monies under Section 18004 of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, and intends to use no less than 50 percent (50%) of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students. The total amount of funds that CAU received from the Department of Education pursuant to CAU’s Certification and Agreement for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students was $3,032,175.

The estimated total number of students at CAU eligible to participate in the programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants to student under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is 3,464.

The University will disburse Emergency Financial Aid Grants to eligible Title IV Students utilizing the same distribution percentages which the U.S. Department of Education Secretary utilized in allocating funds to universities: 75% of the award to Pell grant recipients and the remaining 25% of the award to non-Pell students enrolled as of March 23, 2020. The University has established a three-tiered method of distribution based on Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as reported on the 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as follows:

CARES-ACT...-ONLINE-STATEMENT-5.9.jpg

To date, CAU has not distributed Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act, and no students have received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act. However, monies will be distributed to eligible students within the next two (2) weeks as well as an updated report to the entire University community within the next forty (45) days on the number of students who received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant.

Emergency Financial Aid Grants will be issued to all eligible students via Bank Mobile based upon the refund preference selected by the students.

PDF version