Spring Break Extension, Remote Instruction, Residential Facility Move-Out, and Continued Business Operations
As part of the Clark Atlanta University Coronavirus/COVID-19 Task Force’s efforts to remain diligent in disseminating timely updates, I am sharing details about a recent decision made collectively by Atlanta University Center Consortium (AUCC) member institution presidents, as well as decisions made specifically for the University.
After considerable discussion about available information, data, and best practices related to proper monitoring and prevention of the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus, AUCC member institutions, which include Clark Atlanta University, Morehouse College, Morehouse School of Medicine, and Spelman College, have decided to take proactive steps and implement a Preventative Measures Plan. As a part of that plan, and with the approval of recommendations made to the AUCC member institutions’ presidents by the AUCC Coronavirus/COVID-19 Task Force, the member institutions (including Clark Atlanta University) will be moving all instruction to a remote academic environment for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester.
To help prevent any potential spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus in the CAU community, the following measures have been or will be taken:
- Students’ Spring Break Extended Through March 22, 2020: Spring Break for students has been extended through Sunday, March 22, 2020, with instruction resuming on Monday, March 23, Faculty and staff, however, are required to report to work the week of March 16
-22, 2020, as previously scheduled. During this time, and no later than Thursday, March 19, 2020, faculty will be expected to have evaluated and finalized options on how to best deliver remote academic instruction, and be prepared to implement remote instruction and other forms of institutional continuity upon the conclusion of the students’ extended Spring Break period.
- Remote Instruction Beginning March 23, 2020: Classes requiring in-person instruction have been suspended through the end of the 2019-2020 academic year. However, to ensure continued operations and instruction, the University will move to remote learning which will allow students to complete their remaining academic courses off-campus.
- Student Residential Facility Move-out: -All students residing in University-owned residential facilities should collect their belongings and move out of their spaces no later than 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 21, 2020. All University-owned residential facilities will close at this time and will remain closed for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester. The Office of Residence Life will be following up with impacted students to provide specific move-out instructions. Students will receive frequent email updates from the Office of Student Services and Campus Life containing detailed instructions about academic content, dates for moving personal belongings from campus, emergency assistance, and other information related to this transition. Members of the faculty will receive guidance from the Office of the Provost in a separate communication.-All students residing in residential facilities that are adjacent to or on campus, but owned by entities other than the University, are encouraged to contact their landlords to negotiate a move-out schedule that follows the timeline expressed above.
- Continued Campus Operations: Clark Atlanta University standard operations will continue during this period. There will be faculty and staff available to answer questions and assist students as the University community collectively navigates this global
- Campus/Public Events: In light of the unprecedented challenges presented by the growing spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus, for the safety and well-being of the University community, all public events have been cancelled through the end of the semester. We understand that Commencement and related end-of-year activities are a special time for our graduates and their families. Toward that end, information regarding the status of any potential rescheduling of Commencement and end-of-year activities will be shared on our website in the coming
- Athletic Events: All sports camps and athletic events and practices have been cancelled until further notice. Information regarding other athletic events will be provided as decisions are made by the relevant athletic governing
We understand that these measures, alone, will not stop the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus, and we fully recognize the disruption these decisions may cause. We believe, however, that moving forward in this direction represents a best practice in protecting the health, safety and well-being of our students, faculty, staff and surrounding community.
The CAU Coronavirus/COVID-19 Task Force will continue to monitor this fluid situation and will work through campus communications channels with any updates. Please continue to be informed, alert and responsible by following CDC prevention guidelines. For additional information and updates visit https://www.cau.edu/cau-update/index.html. The task force will continue to stay updated on all new developments related to the current global pandemic and disseminate relevant information as it becomes available.
Finally, I would like to offer my sincere thanks for your continued support of Clark Atlanta University and the young minds we serve as we navigate this unprecedented challenge.
George T. French, Jr., Ph.D. President