Frequently Asked Questions

1)    I have been admitted to Clark Atlanta University.  When will I receive my I-20?
After notification of acceptance to the University, a designated school official from The Office of International Programs (OIP) will contact the student by email to provide the next steps to obtain the CAU I-20. The information and documentation required for issuance of the CAU I-20 are as follows:
  1. Completed CAU I-20 Request Form
  2. Certified bank statement that shows sufficient funds to meet the costs for tuition, fees, books, housing, health insurance, transportation and accompany dependents’ care (if applicable).  
  3. Copy of the passport biographical page (if applicable, pages for accompanying dependents).

Once this documentation is received in the OIP, the CAU I-20 is generally processed within five (5) business days and sent to the address provided on the CAU I-20 Request Form.
If requested, the I-20 can be released to a family member or friend with written authorization from the student.
2)    I received my CAU I-20, how do I obtain my student visa?
Included in the CAU I-20 information packet are instructions regarding obtaining the nonimmigrant student visa. All International students seeking to obtain the F-1 student visa are required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee online by going to http://www.fmjfee.com. Students who plan to have their spouses or children reside in in the USA with them while they study, should note that their dependents are required to have individual Form I-20s, but they do not have to pay a separate SEVIS I-901 fee to obtain the F-2 visa. They are only required to pay the visa fees. 
After payment of the SEVIS fee, the next step is to go to http://usembassy.gov to find the nearest US embassy/consulate to schedule a visa appointment.

3)    I am a transfer student from a U.S. School and my F-1 visa is still valid. Am I still required to submit financial documentation? 
All new transfer and initial international students are required to submit financial documentation to verify sufficient funds to meet the cost of attendance at CAU. Transfer students will be provided with the CAU F-1 Transfer-In Form for submission to the Designated School Official (DSO) at their current institution. The DSO at the current institution will complete and return the form to CAU for processing of the CAU I-20.

4)    When can I enter the U.S. after receiving my visa?
The earliest date to enter the U.S. is printed on the 1-20 document. Generally, students may enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the program start date provided on the I-20.

5)    Do I have to attend the New International Student Orientation? 
Yes.  The New International Student Orientation is mandatory for all new international students. Students are not able to continue the registration and enrollment process until the new student orientation process is completed.

6)    Does CAU offer any financial assistance to international students?
Need based financial aid and student loans are offered through the US National Financial Aid Program. International students are not eligible for this program. However, CAU does offer a limited number of competitive athletic and academic scholarships, and graduate assistantships to international students. International students should contact their academic department for information regarding available graduate assistantships. 

7)    Can I study part-time?
No.  International students must maintain full-time enrollment. There are limited exceptions to this requirement. Undergraduate students are required to register for a minimum of 12 semester hours and graduate students are required to register for a minimum of nine semester hours.