Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
Admission Requirements—First Year Students
Important Update: For the current application cycle (Students Entering Spring 2022 and Fall 2022), we will continue our test optional policy. Students will not be required to submit standardized test scores, and students that may be negatively impacted by their scores will automatically be considered test optional.
CAU practices a holistic admission review process, which considers the applicant's secondary school academic record, standardized college entrance exams, if available (SAT or ACT), leadership in school and community activities, unique talents and skills, and educational objectives. We have included data from our most recent class to help you understand the student that had the greatest likelihood to be admitted to Clark Atlanta, not as cutoffs or minimums—just the average.
Class of 2024 Profile (Fall 2020)
Average GPA: 3.21
Average Combined SAT: 957
Average ACT Composite: 18
Admissions Application Package
A complete application package includes the following credentials:
- Application for Admission: either The Clark Atlanta University Application, Common Application, OR the Common Black College Application [Only ONE application is necessary]
- Students using the Common Black College App should select Clark Atlanta University as one of their four preferred schools
- Non-refundable $35 application fee payable by credit card, money order, or cashier's check. Fee waivers may be uploaded to your online application by a counselor, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or faxed to 404.880.6174. Personal checks are not accepted.
- Official high school transcript(s) or GED certificate.
- Test score results from the SAT or ACT [We are currently test optional for all students entering Spring 2022 or Fall 2022. International students from non-English speaking secondary schools may submit the TOEFL or IELTS instead of the ACT or SAT.
- One letter of recommendation from a high school counselor
- One letter of recommendation from a high school teacher
- Resume (optional)
- Essay Topics: Students using the CAU App or Common App may use any of the essay prompts provided. Students using the Common Black College Application should write 500 words or less on ONE of the following topics: [Common Black College App students must email their essay in PDF format to email@example.com]
- How do you feel Clark Atlanta University would prepare you for future leadership?
- Who has had the greatest influence in your life thus far, and why?
We consider the applicant's secondary school academic record, standardized college entrance exams (SAT or ACT), leadership in school and community activities, unique talents and skills, and educational objectives. For admission consideration, an applicant should have a well-balanced college preparatory program that includes the following course work:
- 4 units English
- 3 units Mathematics
- 3 units Electives
- 3 units Natural Science
- 2 units Social Science
- 2 units Foreign Language
- A student may be admitted with less than two units in a foreign language but may be required to take language at CAU depending on the students selected major. We recommend foreign language in preparing for CAU so that students will spend less time fulfilling this requirement through coursework or a placement exam.
Early Action [Non-Binding] Deadline/Spring Deadline - November 1
Applicants who submit completed application packages--including all supporting documents by November 1, 2021 will receive notification of the admission decision by January 1, 2022.
Final Deadline - April 1
Final opportunity for incoming freshmen to submit a completed application
Transfer Deadline - June 1
Final opportunity for incoming transfers to submit a complete application
Many documents can be submitted online by a counselor through email [firstname.lastname@example.org] or our online applications. You may choose to mail transcript(s) and recommendations to:
Clark Atlanta University
Office of Admission
223 James P. Brawley Dr. SW
Atlanta, GA 30314