134 Thayer Hall
223 James P. Brawley Drive, S.W.
Atlanta, GA 30314
TITLE III B: Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act (SAFRA)
From amounts available under section 1068h(a)(2) of this title for any fiscal year, the Secretary shall make grants (under section 1063 of this title) to institutions which have applications approved by the Secretary (under section 1063a of this title) for any of the following uses:
Grants shall be made for a period not to exceed 5 years. Any funds awarded for such five-year grant period that are obligated during such five-year period may be expended during the 10-year period beginning on the first day of such five-year period.
USES OF FUNDS
- Purchase, rental, or lease of scientific or laboratory equipment for educational purposes, including instructional and research purposes.
- Construction, maintenance, renovation, and improvement in classrooms, libraries, laboratories, and other instructional facilities, including purchase or rental of telecommunications and technology equipment or services.
- Academic instruction in disciplines in which Black Americans are underrepresented.
- Purchase of library books, periodicals, microfilm and other educational materials, including telecommunications program materials.
- Establishing or enhancing a program of teacher education designed to qualify students to teach in a public elementary or secondary school in the State that shall include, as part of such program, preparation for teaching certification.
- Increasing the college or university’s capacity to prepare students for careers in the physical or natural sciences, mathematics, computer science or information technology/sciences, engineering, language instruction in the less-commonly taught languages or international affairs, or nursing or allied health professions.