ATLANTA, GA-- November 12, 2018-- Clark Atlanta University (CAU) will host CAU SALUTES VETERANS DAY, 2:30 PM Monday, Nov 12th at Davage Auditorium on the University's campus.
The event, held in observance of Veterans Day, will honor CAU students, faculty, and staff who have served their country in the Armed Forces. The event will also celebrate the university's long patriotic legacy that goes back to its founding institutions, Atlanta University (1865) and Clark College (1869):
- Atlanta University and Clark College were among Georgia's first institutions to participate in the designated Student Army Training Corps (SATC), which was the precursor of what we know today as the ROTC.
- Major Richard Robert Wright Sr, Atlanta University's first valedictorian, became the
highest rankingAfrican American Officer during the Spanish-American War.
- Henry Ossian Flipper, a former slave who attended Atlanta University and later in 1877 became the first African American to graduate from West Point.
- During World War I, Atlanta University was also a military post known as the Army School for Mechanics.
- In World War II, Atlanta University graduate Irma Jackson Cayton Wertz became a member of the first Officer Training Class for the Women’s Auxiliary Army Corps (WAACS).
- Clark College graduate Lt. Col. Alexander Jefferson faced danger in the skies of WWII as one of the Tuskegee Airmen, 332nd Fighter Group.
"Given our historic association with the military over the years and due to the distinguish service of our Alums, I can think of no more appropriate place than CAU to host this observance," said Dr. Ronald A. Johnson, President at Clark Atlanta University.
CAU Salutes is presented by the CAU Office of University Relations, External & Community Affairs, the Office of Institutional Advancement and the Office of the Registrar.
View our "Wall of Valor" at link BELOW :
Get more information about Veterans Affairs at CAU at:
Clark Atlanta University
About Clark Atlanta University
Established in 1988 by the consolidation of Atlanta University (1865) and Clark College (1869), Clark Atlanta University (CAU) is one of the Nation’s foremost research institutions, offering students from around the United States and several foreign countries the opportunity to engage in 38 exciting areas of study at bachelors, masters and doctoral levels. Located in the historic heart of Atlanta, one of the world's great international cities, CAU’s nearly 4,000 students enjoy access academic and co-curricular experiences, from forensic
Visit www.cau.edu to learn more about Clark Atlanta University.
Category: University Media, Staff, Advancement, Faculty, Research, Leadership, Alumni, Technology, Business, Social Work, Students, Arts and Sciences, Education, Administration
Keywords: clark atlanta university