Graduate Writing Lab(GWL)
Room 108 - Kresge Hall
(404) 880-8535 Fax
GRADUATE WRITING CONSULTING GUIDELINES
Consultants are ENCOURAGED to:
- Uphold the policies and procedures of the GRLC.
- Support a collaborative learning environment in which understanding is maximized.
- Maintain professional conduct
- Assist registered graduate or professional students with writing related to their academic and professional goals, except those forms of writing excluded by the assistance policy.
- keep the student actively involved in the session by listening more than speaking.
- Offer honest and practical encouragement and constructive criticism.
- Acknowledge that they cannot answer all questions, but will, to the best of their ability, refer students to the proper resource.
- Utilize, as much as possible, the resources available in the GRC to improve learning sessions.
Consultants are PROHIBITED from:
- Changing or editing work of students without consulting with them first.
- Doing a student’s work for them or imposing ideas on a student.
- Assisting a student with writing for examinations or other excluded types of writing (see GWL Policies for more information).
- Discussing students’ projects or writings outside the Graduate Writing Lab.
- Predicting a student’s grade, either for a paper or for a class.