Clark Atlanta University Learn Lead Change


Academic Enrichment and Success

-Partners In Academic Success-

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why is academic advisement important?

Academic advisement is a crucial element of undergraduate education. Obtaining academic advisement on a regular basis increases your opportunity to succeed academically, to successfully progress toward your degree objective, and to graduate in a timely manner.

2. What can my academic advisor do for me?

• Help to plan, organize, and register for classes
• Help to choose/declare a major
• Help with academic issues
• Help to understand the Core Curriculum and Major requirements

3. Who is my academic advisor?

All CAU undergraduate students are assigned an academic advisor according to their academic discipline.

4. Where is my academic advisor located?

Academic advisors are located throughout campus. Check the campus directory for exact locations.

5. How do I read my schedule?

The day column on your schedule indicates what days of the week the class meets: “M” is for Monday, “T” is for Tuesday, “W” is for Wednesday, “R” is for Thursday, and “F” is for Friday. A class that meets on multiple days, e.g., Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, is denoted by the letters M, W, and F (MWF). Please note, however, “TR” means that the class meets on Tuesday and Thursday.

6. What determines my undergraduate class level?

Undergraduate class levels at CAU are based on the number of credit hours earned. Freshmen (0-27 credits earned), Sophomores (28-57 credits earned), Juniors (59-87 credits earned), and Seniors (88+ credits earned).

7. Do I need a major?

Yes. In order to graduate from CAU with a bachelor’s degree, you must choose and complete a major course of study. We encourage you to begin to explore a major area of study as soon as possible.
8. When do I need to declare a major?

Although there is no set schedule to declare a major, it is best to have a fairly concrete idea by the time you have earned 30 credit hours. Please note, however, that you must have declared a major by the time you accrue 45 credit hours.

9. How do I add a minor?

To add a minor, obtain a major field of study form from the Office of the University Registrar. Once the form is filled out and signed, take the form back to the Registrar’s Office to make the necessary change.

10. How can I know when a class will be offered?

By checking with the appropriate major department.

11. Is an associate degree offered?


12. What office handles the application of transfer credit?

Equivalencies for General Education courses are evaluated by the
Office of Academic Enrichment and Success. However, equivalencies for major classes are evaluated by the appropriate major department. Please note, the equivalencies for major classes process is facilitated by the Office of Academic Enrichment and Success.

13. How do I apply for Graduation?

The application for graduation is obtained from the Office of the University Registrar. Once, the application is filled out and signed, the appropriate academic department will forward the application to the Registrar’s Office.